Friday, February 01, 2008

Land of Confusion

Well, that title's just downright poetic.

I received my answer from the Nebraska Judicial Qualifications Board. According to them, after reviewing my complaint filed against Judge Elizabeth Crnkovich, they have decided that all is totally fine, and nothing will be done in response to my letter. Now, as for how things are going for the whole Anaya family and their due process, I can only hope that her lawyer and possibly the ACLU stick with this and justice is done.

In case you are unfamiliar, read http://clarateaches.blogspot.com/2007/11/this-is-what-nightmares-are-made-of.html and consider yourself informed.

I can take a small amount of solace in the knowledge that I added my voice to those protesting the baby steps towards the government completely controlling our children.

Now, who wants to be cynical with me and imagine what really happened when my letter and others like it came pouring in? A form letter was typed, my name and address were programmed into one of the copies, and my letter was simply filed in the cylindrical, under-the-desk, used tissue holder.

At any rate, there we are, and here we are. This is the world we live in, and the hands we're given. So instead of laughing over the irony of the fact that Judge Crnkovich's name quite readily rhymes with a name that is fun to call mean people, I'm going to go sniff my sleeping baby's head. I'm going to switch the laundry around, make some pizza dough, clean the bathroom, and otherwise enjoy the rise and gradual fall of a daily victory. I'm going to strap on my Mom-bat boots and prepare myself for the inevitable battle that will come from any of the parenting choices I make that run contrary to things that arbitrarily (and monetarily) benefit the government. If you are a person who happens to enjoy the fact that you can choose if and how long you breastfeed your child, if and when you will vaccinate, what location you birth in and how many, if any meds you will have, I suggest you do the same. Your choices and mine could be entirely different- but that we have this choice is CRUCIAL.

One last pitch- if you're in the Lansing area, head over to the MSU campus from 7-9 PM on Sat the 23 and Sun the 24th at 3-6 PM for a screening of The Business of Being Born. If you're not in the Lansing area, take a look at your community events calendar to see if this is coming to your area any time soon.

Also, I have hidden two patches of lyrics in this entry, from two entirely different songs. One is easy, one is maniacally hard. If you can see the easy one, give yourself a pat on the back. If you can locate the maniacally hard one, and tell me where it's from and who sings it, you are a superhuman, and you totally rock.

2 comments:

gs said...

I have never had children of my own, so I don't share the magnitude of your anger, but this is a lacking on my part, not an excess on yours.

Regarding your challenge, the easy patch is from a band whose name begins with the letter "G", and the name of the song is three words long. I think the hard one is from a song written by a person whose initials are D.W. The title of that song is rather convoluted, and alliterative. (I don't want to give anything away for your other readers.)

Am I right? Even if I am, I don't rock, and I am, sadly, not superhuman.

Clara said...

You're totally right! And you do indeed rock! Thanks, GS!

Genesis- Land of Confusion

and

Dar Williams- The Pointless, Yet Poignant, Crisis of a Co-Ed